Tuesday, July 15, 2008

An Exploration that led to a park then to a palace and so on.

I woke up today with a whole afternoon of nothing to do but exploring. I decided it was about time I went to a museum, so I choose the Tate Britain. Which I now regret because I didn't really enjoy any of the wings I went to except for the hand drawn pieces. I took notes of the pieces I liked because I wasn't allowed to take pictures inside the museum which I thought was complete... how do you say it.... rubish? yes.

Anyway, I go to the gift shop and showed the man behind the counter the list I had made and asked him if he has any of the prints in stock. He doesn't. I ask them when they will have some, they say they don't know. I decided I should move on at this point because nothing in this museum is going to improve.

So I head out of the museum and stumble across Green park which is right next to the Ritz hotel. I'm sure I looked like such an American taking pictures of the hotel but I couldn't help it, I was looking at the real thing.

So I started going through the park and when I come out of the other side I'm in front of Buckingham palace. I mean who goes on a random walk and ends up in front of a palace. It was probably the best surprise I've had. Lets just say this Queen Elizabeth does not have it rough. when I was walking out the other side of this park I noticed there was a huge gate (I now know its called the Canada Gate) near the keyholes are huge E's with crowns and swords around it. I mean really? Her face is on the currency, does she really need to put her initials on gates? But I think I would do stuff like that if I was the queen, so I don't really blame her.

After that I walked along the walls of the palace that are about 12 feet tall with barbed wire and these huge log spikes attached at the top, every time I looked at the wall I was thinking in my head "God save the queen?", I mean it looked like a tad to much, but I'm sure its been there for hundreds of years so why not keep it?

It had been about 5 hours of walking at this point and I decided I wanted to sit down so I got on a double decker bus and road around the city for an hour, I ended up pretty close to where I was staying and decided I should head back for some dinner and homework. Here are some pictures from the day.




The Tate Britain








A random college I walked past. Chelsea School of Design.






The Ritz






The street where I found the Ritz.







The famous bar










Canada?







The Canada Gate. See what I mean about those "E's"









The fountain outside Buckingham palace.. I forgot the name.








Statue on the fountain














Regents Park. They Shot Finding Neverland here.










The Wellington Monumnet













Underneath the Wellington Monument

4 comments:

cherie said...

you're very lucky, hope i can travel also to other countries like you do!

blank said...

don't be downing the tate britain--i loved every wing i went to in that museum. did you see the medieval ivory carvings? those are so awesome. how is your class? have you met any nice people? i think an email is in order

blank said...

that was allie by the way. i forgot i made my user name "blank" on blogger haha

Unknown said...

lizzy-beth! blessings for your experience there! 20 minutes at Westminster Abby? I would need way longer to take all that in. Never been there, but Italy was that way. You just have to step back and honor all the detail that went into building those cathedrals. wow! good shooting. i especially like the b&w of the statue atop the fountain. good work! enjoy! love your cuz, julia