Saturday, July 19, 2008

Field Trip

I'm taking a C.S. Lewis Class and one of the requirements of the course is that the class takes field trips to places in London and even outside of london where Lewis and his friends spent most of their time. A couple of days ago, my class went to the British Museum and The Winston Churchill War Museum. Once we arrived at the British Museum, i immediatly found the Egypt wing. The Rosetta Stone was on display and while that sounds like something great to see, and it was neat to look at for a few seconds, it wasn't that cool. I know we can now read hieroglyphics because of this rock but it also just looked like an ordinary stone. Anyway, we walked through these ruins and it was great because they had taken parts of old tomb walls from the pyramids and put them on display. It was so detailed. I loved looking at it because it wasn't trimmed in gold and there weren't a lot of decorations, it was normal stone that had been carved and chiseled to tell a story about the king and the peoples history.

We went down to the Africa section and that might have been my favorite. The art being displayed was very bold. There was a chair that was made out of guns and knives and michetti's(sp?). The art has a lot to do with the genocide and the war that has gone on in that country and is still going on, but at the same time they had a wall of masks that people wore during ceremonial dances and when these people danced.... I mean they danced. They had videos of it and it was beautiful. It was tribal dancing but it wasn't at the same time. The way the people moved and the way their faces looked while they were doing it... I wish I could see it in person. I don't think I'm really giving it a great description.

After, the British Museum we went to the War Museum. I was with my friend Brittany and Austin and we walked down to the basement because they had displays of World War 1 and World War 2. The displays consisted of officers uniforms and weapons they used during the war, they also had letters that soldiers had written to their families and friends. There were a couple of displays that showed what rationing looked like, as well as what women and children were wearing during the time. We then went straight up to the holocaust floor, and spent about two hours in that wing of the museum. I've always been very fascinated about world war 2 and concentration camps. I don't feel comfortable saying I love learning about it because its a very sobering subject as well as violent. I also think that in America we tend to romantisize the world wars and we kind of forget that it was horrible until we see an exhibition like this. However, I could have spent hours in that museum reading every display discription as well as watching the video interviews with some of the survivors.

Here are some pictures.


Part of a tomb wall from Assyria.


Close up of some soldiers on a tomb from Egypt.


Mummy from
Mesopotamia


Mummy Decorations?


The War Museum




Part of the Berlin Wall


World War One Uniforms


World War One


Different types of Lugars.


Shoes collected at Aushwitz


Prison Uniforms at Aushwitz

1 comment:

Armygirl890 said...

I LOVEEEEEE the mummy pics!! soo cool! so so cool to is my blog its
http://tomboyscircle.blogspot.com!